Henfield Medical Centre
Coastal West Sussex CCG
Henfield Medical Centre (HMC) decided to focus their energies on adolescents/young people. Their engagement encompassing both staff and patients included:
- Setting up a practice young person’s team
- Engagement stage 1 – in-house whole practice meeting ‘ENCIRCLE’ to introduce PACE Setter
- Writing questionnaires and promote with posters and flyers
- Engagement stage 2 – open meeting at HMC for young people called “Be Heard in Henfield.”
- Speak to community youth leaders, explorers to encourage participation, local school nurse.
Key activities chosen for the HMC PACE Setter project:
Appointments: looked into offering more young person friendly times, i.e. reserve some early morning or 4 o’clock ones just after school. Discussed at practice meeting and implemented followed by a three month trial and review.
Education: ran a whole team education session at an encircle, feeding back the questionnaire and meeting results and educating staff in YP friendly behaviour and consultation skills. Useful resource found to be the ‘GP Champions For Youth Health Project ToolKit’.
Communication: developed a young person’s section on their practice website with information for them and useful links to relevant resources including voluntary sector services and providers. Contacted local youth officer to help.
Have created a ‘birthday card’ to send to 15 year olds as above – innovative idea!
P – “Be Heard in Henfield” – YP and local community / leaders engagement; staff engagement
A – Dedicated section for YP website; happy birthday card for 15 year olds; flexible appointment times for YP
C – Safeguarding
E – Whole team education event around YP; Change in culture at the practice (whole team) for management of YP